Lovely balmy weather for Saturday’s West End Fête at the Tringham recreation ground, which must’ve helped in adding to the throng of visitors. Traditional fête entertainment garnered queues waiting, for a shy at coconuts, to smash a plate, to score a goal, and to watch Punch & Judy. Excellent burgers and hot dogs, and beer filled the aching interior void.
I’ve a brief selection of photos of the Fete, and a short video of the parade.
The procession and parade of West End Toddlers, Tringham Pre School, Rainbows, Brownies, Guides, Cubs, Scouts, and Beavers as Kings and Queens was the star attraction. Judging the dress of the parade participants for creativity, and originality was deliberated on with great care, resulting in,
- 1st in Best Youngest class: The Queen’s Guard by the Rainbows
- 2nd in Best Youngest class: Buckingham Palace by West End Toddlers
- 1st in Best Oldest class: Queen Bees by the Brownies
- 2nd in Best Oldest class: Titania Queen of the fairies by the Guides
- 1st in Most Creative: The Lion King by Pride Rock Beaver Scout Colony
- 2nd in Most Creative: Royal Flush by Jamboree and Jubilee Cub Packs
- 1st in Most Original: Royal Rascals by Tringham Pre School
- 2nd in Most Original: Chess Pieces by Tarzan Beaver Scout Colony
Here’s a list of local fêtes and shows in June.
- Saturday 4th June: West End Village Fête at Tringhams Recreation Ground
- Saturday 11th June: Windlesham Fête at the Field of Remembrance
- Saturday 11th June: Picnic in the Park at London Road Rec in Camberley
- Sat 11th & Sun 12th June: Queen’s 90th birthday celebrations in Lightwater
- Sunday 12th June: Frimley Green Gardens Open Day
- Sunday 19th June: Heritage Day at Royal Military Academy Sandhurst
- Thursday evening 23rd June: Evening lecture at the RLC Museum, Deepcut
- Saturday morning 25th June: Lightwater’s Fayre in the Square
- Saturday afternoon 25th June: Bagshot Village Day in Bagshot High Street
- Sunday 26th June: Bisley Strawberry Fayre on Bisley Village Green
NOTE: Correction of error in day of RMAS Open Day. It’s on Sunday not as I wrote on Saturday
It was on my way to my Saturday afternoon meeting, so I stopped by West End Village Fête. Though not early enough to catch the Gordon’s School Pipes and Drums opening the fête, nor long enough to see the Maypole dancers from Holy Trinity school.
I did however stay long enough to see the young performers from the Kelalou Academy of Irish Dance. Also, I couldn’t help but notice the long queue of potential drivers ready to take a car around the Recreation Ground.
Such a shame, I can’t today visit either West End Village Fête, of the lovely Frimley Green Gardens that are open in the National Garden Scheme. I’m attending my first meeting of the local branch of the Milestone Society, at which I’ll be updating them on our loss of a milestone in Camberley – sadly removed by philistines.
All’s not lost on Frimley Green Gardens though – they’re annual Open Gardens Day is on Sunday 16th June this year. So, I’ll not miss out on a flower experience. [Click on images to expand].
Next Saturday it’s the West End Village fête, from 1.0pm to 4.0pm held on the Tringhams Recreation Ground. Here’s the front page of the Fête guide [click to expand],
Let’s get straight to the point. There are fêtes-a-plenty in June. Two on the same day is unfortunate, though they’re slightly different, as West End Fete has a Procession of floats from Scouts, Guides, Cubs and Brownies.
- Windlesham Village Fête on Saturday 8th June
- West End Village Fête and Procession on Saturday 8th June
- Lightwater Village Fête on Saturday 15th June
- Bisley Strawberry Fayre on Sunday 30th June
Here are some of the details [click to enlarge].