Here’ s a message from Mike Jones and Stephen Cake, Crime Reduction & Designing Out Crime Officers for Surrey Police Western Division (Guildford, Surrey Heath, Waverley and Woking).
Please take a look at the following websites:
If you do not have an intruder alarm, there are two organisations that Police recommend you consult, when considering having an intruder alarm fitted. Their web pages below offer search facilities for local companies who carry their accredited installations. These companies will carry out an inspection of your property and provide a detailed quote for the alarm system:
National Security inspectorate (NSI)
- Security Systems and Alarms Inspection Board (SSAIB)
Consider fitting a small safe from a reputable company, see this site for details:
Doors and windows
If you are considering new windows and doors then these should be to PAS24–2016 standard. See this web page, under ‘search approved products’: http://www.securedbydesign.com/
For additional security, install laminated glass, meeting the requirements of BS EN 356:2000 class 1A, should to be installed on ground floor and easily accessible windows. (See additional advice in response to a recent series of burglaries in the area below)
f you have ‘Euro style’ door locks, we recommend you consider upgrading the cylinder to TS007 3* (three star) standard, using a listed locksmith, from the Master Locksmiths Association. http://www.locksmiths.co.uk/
For an explanation on why this should be considered, please look at the following company’s web site: http://www.abs-secure.co.uk/
If you have double door patio doors with 2 handles, consider a ‘Patlock’, an additional French Door and Conservatory Security Lock. http://www.patlock.co.uk/
There are numerous companies that can supply the TS007 3* lock and the Patlock.
For other security products see
Householders in the Surrey Police Western Division are advised to be especially vigilant regarding a recent trend where houses are being broken into by smashing windows. Surrey Heath is a safe borough and the number of burglary offences are not large locally, however taking a few simple steps will make your home less vulnerable to this kind of attack:
- Secure the rear of your property with good locking gates and boundaries.
- Ensure all garden tools etc. are securely locked away
- Check your garden for any items such as loose bricks, stones or pots that could be used to smash windows and as much as possible remove them.
- Fit a good quality intruder alarm from a company registered with the National Security Inspectorate (NSI) http://www.nsi.org.uk/information-centre/business-security-options/intruder-alarms/ . Or with the Security Systems and Alarms Inspection Board (SSAIB) https://ssaib.org/ .
- Cover accessible window glass with clear security film.
- If replacing windows, ensure they are to PAS 24 2016 standard with laminated glass.
From Mike Jones and Stephen Cake
Crime Reduction & Designing Out Crime Officers
Surrey Police Western Division (Guildford, Surrey Heath, Waverley and Woking)