The In The Know – Surrey and Sussex service, on behalf of Surrey Police, distributed the following message from Surrey Heath Borough Commander, Inspector Bob Darkens, to Surrey Heath Neighbourhood Watch members.
I wanted to raise with you for further communication to your watch members that we have experienced in the last two weeks a spike in dwelling burglaries.
There have been 14 reported incidents since the 29th August which is a lot higher average than I would normally expect in that time frame. Having reviewed each one ,I make the following observations;
- 9 have occurred in the Camberley town area
- 1 in Mytchett
- 1 in Deepcut
- 2 in Lightwater
- 1 in Bagshot
- 2 of these have been unsuccessful attempts (Lightwater & Camberley)
- 1 could have occurred in a 3 month window as the property was unoccupied (Lightwater)
- 1 was where the house been left insecure (Camberley)
- 1 is being treated as the suspect being known to the victims with unlimited access to their property (Camberley)(still recorded as a burglary)
- 1 has positive lines of enquiry with CCTV and card use (Mytchett)
- 1 has a forensic link to a known offender (Camberley)
Of the remaining offences, I cannot positively link them as a series as they are too scattered and random. The means of entry in a number of them is either forced entry using an implement or a heavy object through a window.
The reason for this message is therefore to highlight these offences to your members and encourage them to pay careful attention to suspicious activity at this time. Encourage them (as I know you do) to remove items from their back gardens etc, that could be used in gaining entry, garden tools etc. I have made all of my team aware of the locations of these incidents and directed them to patrol those areas affected, we will do all we can to identify those responsible
Should you have any questions please contact my community engagement volunteer Steph Edwards who will hopefully answer any questions you may have.
Bob Darkens, Inspector 2233, Surrey Heath Neighbourhood Commander