Commenters here have told me I didn’t fill the RSPB’s Big Garden Birdwatch survey correctly. Perhaps it would have been preferable had I read the instructions before completing the survey, which are,
Here’s how to do it:
- Watch the birds in your garden or park for one hour. The more people watching, the better – so why not invite your family and friends.
- Record the highest number of each bird species you see at any one time – not the total over the hour, as birds may visit more than once.
- Only count the birds that land in your garden or park, not those flying over.
- Once your hour’s up, fill in the details for other wildlife that visits your garden or park during the year.
I added the total of bird visitors, not the highest number at any one time. Our results should have been as follows – my incorrect number is shown after the correct number.
- Blackbird: 2 not 3
- Blue Tit: 3 not 10
- Dunnock: 1
- Long Tailed Tit: 5 not 20
- Magpie: 2
- Robin: 1 not 2
- Wood Pigeon: 1
Am I contrite, hmm, yep.